Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Apricot Charlotte (Sharlotka s Abrikosami)

I have absolutely no idea where the name "Charlotte" came from but it's basically a cake. I have seen non-Russian recipes for the dish and they don't look the same for the name...



Our neighbors gave us a bunch of apricots, and other than making jam (which I did), I also decided to make some baked goody, to please my ever whining sweet tooth. The recipe is easy and actually comes from my mom. I think I made it enough times now to just remember, but here goes!

The sweeter the fruit, the  better, although it's good with slightly tart specimens too. Also try it with apples, pears, plums, currant or gooseberries. With this kind of dough anything goes!




Apricot Charlotte

Servings: 8-12


2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 stick butter
½ tsp baking soda
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour (heaping generously)
16 small ripe apricots
Cinnamon



1.       Wash apricots, cut in half and remove pits.
2.       Preheat the oven to 350F.
3.       Melt butter. Add sugar, eggs and buttermilk. Mix well with a hand mixer.
4.       Add flour and baking soda. Mix well, leaving no lumps.
5.       Grease a 9x13 baking pan (Pam or butter with flour dusting). Pour the dough and smooth it evenly over the pan (a spatula or a generous shake from side to side may help).
6.       Sprinkle with cinnamon and evenly layer the top with apricots.
7.       Bake 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick comes out dry when inserted.



No comments:

Post a Comment